Fall is here, and that means that Old Man Winter is lurking just around the corner. Are you fully prepared to face the challenges of the winter season? If you haven’t started giving thought to placing your bulk order of rock salt, you’re not totally ready. So when, exactly, is the best time to start placing your order for salt? This post will tell you everything you need to know about when, where, and how to stock up on bulk quantities of de-icing materials this year.
Timing is Everything
Rock salt is the most commonly used de-icing product in NJ and its surrounding areas. Because it is so popular, salt is generally available at intervals throughout the year. If this is the case, then why should you be concerned with ordering your bulk rock salt by a particular period of time? The short answer to this question is: preparedness.
- Winter Weather Preparedness – Winters in the northeast can be quite unpredictable. While winter storms generally start to appear later in the year, there’s always the chance that temperatures could drop and a storm could move in during the autumn months. Waiting until Mother Nature dumps a pile of snow and ice on your front doorstep to pick up salt is a huge mistake. It’s much smarter to think ahead and have an ample supply on hand before the unexpected (or the expected) happens.
- Crowd Preparedness – In addition to being prepared for anything, it’s smart to get your timing right so that you can avoid the wintertime chaos. Although NJ home and business owners are familiar with snowy and icy conditions, people still tend to panic when winter weather arrives. As soon as the weatherman predicts a storm front in the forecast, folks rush out to the stores in order to stock up on everything they might need. The last thing you want is to have to head out into the cold and dangerous conditions only to fight off hordes of shoppers who are picking the store shelves clean of their salt. Those who have anticipated their needs in advance and have purchased rock salt early in the season will not need to leave the comfort of their own homes in order to protect their properties from snow and ice.
- Shortage Preparedness – Of course, rock salt shortages are always a possibility in NJ. Because people tend to wipe stores out of their inventories once winter weather strikes, you could get to your salt supplier only to find that they are sold out of rock salt, or don’t have enough to meet your demands. Nailing down the timing of your bulk rock salt purchase and being ready in advance will ensure that you’ve got exactly what you need to get through the entire winter without a problem.
After all has been said and done, it’s clear that being prepared is the key to getting the timing right for your bulk rock salt purchase. If you’re truly honest with yourself and your needs, you’re likely to realize that now is the ideal time for placing your order and getting ready for the long wither months ahead.
Being Smart About Buying Rock Salt
Knowing the best time to order bulk rock salt is only half the battle. In addition to this, you need to know where to go to get the best deals, and how to properly order a bulk quantity of salt.
- Choosing the Right Supplier – Let’s start by looking at how to find the best supplier of bulk rock salt. Although many stores – even local grocers – sell bags of rock salt during the winter, not all suppliers are a suitable option for placing a bulk order. Those who need bulk quantities of de-icer will need to find a vender that is able to sell rock salt by the pallet and by the truckload. It’s also important to choose a supplier that sells a wide range of quality salt and ice melting materials. This will ensure that you’re able to find a product that will melt snow and ice while also meeting any safety needs you have for pets, children, family members, and plant life. Your rock salt company should also be knowledgeable about the products they sell, and should take the time to answer any questions you may have about choosing, ordering, and using de-icer. Be sure to also look for a business that offers competitive pricing and bulk delivery options to your service area.
- Ordering Bulk Rock Salt – Ordering bulk rock salt requires more than knowing which type of rock salt you want; you’ll also need to know how much material to order. Depending on if you’re buying loose bulk rock salt or bulk rock salt by the bag/pallet/truckload, there may be different methods for calculating your requirements. Bagged rock salt will typically display manufacturer specifications for how much salt to spread per square foot. With these numbers, you can measure your coverage area and do some simple math to determine how many pound or ]salt will be needed per freeze cycle. With loose bulk rock salt, the general rule is that 1 ton of material is needed for 64k square feet of coverage. When in doubt, we urge you to work with a supplier to calculate your needs.
Ordering Bulk Rock Salt in NJ
Right now is the best time to place your order for bulk rock salt in NJ, and Braen Stone is here to help connect you with the correct type and quantity of rock salt that you need this winter. We are a leading supplier of rock salt and other ice melting materials in the Tri-State area, and are proud to offer a wide variety of products at low and competitive pricing. Our team is happy to help you calculate how much salt to order and to answer all of your questions. We bulk deliver to areas throughout NJ, NY, NYC, eastern PA, and southern CT.