Everyone knows that rock salt offers a fast, effective means of melting snow and ice during the winter months. Despite its many merits, though, there are home and business owners who find themselves searching for rock salt alternatives – either to supplement or replace the traditional sodium chloride.
While there are many suppliers that carry rock salt, though, fewer options are available for those in need of alternative products. Do you know where to go to find the materials that you need this season? This post will cover the things that you should look for from a superior supplier.
5 Key Traits of the Suppliers of Rock Salt Alternatives
1. Diverse Inventory
Numerous rock salt alternatives are available, all of which meet different user requirements. It’s important that your supplier carry a large and diverse product inventory so that you’re sure to find everything that you’re looking for in one convenient location. An excellent supplier will offer:
- Environmentally Friendly Products – One of the main reasons that property owners begin to explore their options in terms of alternatives to traditional rock salt is that they are concerned about the environmental impact that the sodium chloride will have on their landscaping and the groundwater supply beneath. While extremely effective at what it does, rock salt can also be very corrosive to concrete and other surfaces, and can diminish the health of grass, plants and vegetation. Realizing this problem, manufacturers have developed specially formulated ice melting materials that are capable of quickly melting snow and ice without causing harm to the environment. A well-rounded and reliable supplier will make sure that they carry these types of materials as a means of meeting the diverse needs of their eco-conscientious customers.
- Child Friendly Products – Another concern that homeowners, schools and similar campuses might have concerns about traditional rock salt is that children are often exposed to areas where the sodium chloride has been spread. It can be difficult to detect the places where the materials have been heavily applied, creating challenges in monitoring where children should be allowed to walk and play. The last thing you want, after all, is for your precious little ones to eat snow that is mixed in with the rock salt. Alternatives to sodium chloride have been created in order to create a safer solution that is less toxic and dangerous for kids. As an added bonus, the materials are tinted with color so that it’s easy to see where the ice melt is located. This helps both with monitoring children’s play areas as well as with the ice melt application process. Ask your prospective supplier about your options.
- Pet Friendly Products – Household with pets will tell you that their furry friends are just as much a part of the family as anyone else. It’s for this reason that it’s so important to be aware of the hazards that rock salt can pose to your dog or cat’s health. First, the material can be toxic if ingested. Secondly, it’s not difficult for sodium chloride to become stuck to your pet’s paws. When tracked indoors, the rock salt can cause skin irritation, including itching and chemical burning. The smartest thing that you can do is to find an ice melt supplier that sells rock salt alternatives which are specifically manufactured to be safe for use around animals. These materials are just as good at melting snow and ice as they are at keeping your four-legged friends safe throughout the winter months.
- All Natural Rock Salt Alternatives – In addition to chemically formulated ice melting materials, excellent suppliers will also offer all natural alternatives that are designed to help improve the overall safety factor of the presence of snow and ice. Two of the most commonly purchased and used materials are sand and stone grits. Sand is known for its ability to coat otherwise slippery surfaces, reducing the amount of slick surface that tires and feet will be exposed to and adding traction. Stone grits are also used to amp up traction, creating a safer surface for walking and driving.
2. Informed Staff
A supplier can carry a wide range of rock salt alternatives, but that won’t do you any good unless its employees can actually provide you with useful, accurate information about your options. The best suppliers will employ sales professionals with industry experience.
These individuals will be passionate about helping customers like yourself to find the products that will serve their best interests rather than simply making a sale.
To get an idea about the level of knowledge and expertise that your sales representatives have on rock salt alternatives, be sure to ask searching questions about the differences between similar materials and for assistance with calculating how much to purchase.
Take note of how quickly and confidently the staff are able to address these inquiries.
3. Excellent Customer Service
Customer service is everything when looking for a rock salt alternative supplier. As mentioned in the previous section, you want to find sales representatives that are interested in spending some time reviewing your different options and determining which will best suit your specific needs.
Your supplier should be willing to work with you to accurately calculate your ice melt needs as this will ensure that you don’t run short throughout the season and could help you to save money in the event that you’d be best served by purchasing in bulk.
Finally, your customer service reps should be happy to work with you in order to schedule bulk delivery drop off, as needed.
4. Fair Pricing
There’s no reason for you to get ripped off and spend an arm and a leg on your rock salt alternatives this season. It’s always in your best interest to shop around a bit to get a feel for how much various competitors are charging for rock salt alternatives.
Suppliers that are selling their products for much more or much less than the mean cost are likely a rip-off – either in terms of overpricing their materials or selling sub-par products that won’t take care of your needs.
5. Delivery Options
If you’re ordering your rock salt alternatives in bulk quantities, it’s important that you find a supplier that offers bulk delivery services in your local area.
Be sure that the business is licensed and insured to make such deliveries, employs safe drivers and has a reputation for making deliveries on time. Feel free to ask for references from satisfied customers to ensure you’ve found a good match.
The Leading Supplier of Rock Salt Alternatives in NJ
NJ residents turn to Braen Stone when they find themselves in need of rock salt alternatives. We are proud to offer our customers with a massive inventory of alternative ice removal, management and safety materials including ice melt, sand and stone grits.
Our knowledgeable and friendly sales professionals can provide you with everything that you need to know about each product we sell, ensuring that you choose the right materials for your property. We’re also happy to help you calculate how much material to purchase.
Our rock salt alternatives are available at competitive wholesale pricing and can be picked up or bulk delivered to locations throughout NJ, NY, PA and CT.