Crushed stone and rock have many uses around the home. The stone is used for mulch, ground cover, driveways and as filler. Crushed stone sizes vary from dust to about 4″ which allows it to be used for a plethora of applications. They can be used in both construction-type applications as well as agricultural or garden-type projects.
Crushed Stone Types
There are many types of crushed stone that are used in projects around the home. The more popular minerals that crushed stone is made from are:
Crushed stone also comes in a variety of colors. Some of the colors are natural and some are man-made. There are also several textures the stone can be found in.
Crushed Stone Sizes
Crushed stone sizes dictate their best use. Smaller stones tend to shift when it rains so they are typically not used for applications where there is foot or vehicular traffic. Larger stones are harder to walk on and are generally used for driveway-type applications.
Some of the more common stones and stone sizes and their uses follow:
- Red Rock or Brick chips – Sizes range from 3/4″ to 1 1/2″. These are best used for mulch or driveway stone. They come in terra cotta colors ranging from red to brown.
- Crushed gravel – Sizes range from 1/4″ to 3/4″. These stone are sharp and of an irregular shape. They interlock tightly and are best used for roads, driveways, pathways and as base rock. Crushed gravel is gray in color.
- River rock – Sizes range from 3/8″ to 2 1/2″. These stones are rounded and smooth which makes them easy on the feet. River rock does not pack down well, but drains well and is attractive. It is used in flower and garden beds and in walks for erosion control. The color ranges from predominately gray to brown. Pea gravel is a smaller size of river rock.
- White marble – Size range from 1/4″ to 1/2″. These stones are used for decorative purposes. They are used to cover soil in gardens and container plants. The stone can also be used in terrariums.
- Crushed limestone – Sizes range from 3/8″ to 3″. Limestone is best used for walkways, paths and roads. The stone is generally a gray to white color.
There are many types of crushed stone in various colors and textures. The size of the stone generally determines what it is best used for though. In home and garden applications there are crushed stone sizes that will fit your project perfectly. Choosing the proper stone size makes for a better looking project that will last for years. If you’re unsure about which stone is best for your project, contact a reputable stone supply company for more information.