Although asphalt is a common surfacing material for driveways, crushed stone is also a very popular, affordable and attractive option. As your driveway is a prominent feature in your landscape and serves as the path to invite visitors into your house, your driveway needs to be beautiful, welcoming, and well-maintained.
To help determine if this is the right option for you, we’ve explored what impacts a crushed stone driveways cost, the benefits of installing one and other useful information for constructing a new front drive.
The Cost of a Crushed Stone Driveway
Overall crushed stone is an excellent choice for those who are looking for a driveway that is both beautiful and cost-efficient. It’s important to keep in mind that because all driveways and properties are unique, crush stone driveway costs will vary, based upon factors like:
- Driveway size – For obvious reasons, a driveway with a larger surface area will require more stone. The more stone that is needed to surface the space, the more you will need to pay to install your new driveway. If your home is set back from the road and your drive will need to be long, or if you prefer a wider driveway, expect that the costs may be higher than those with a short, narrow path.
- Driveway shape – A standard driveway will be relatively easy to lay out, and minimal materials will need to be used. In order to create a winding lane or a circular driveway more area may be taken up by the drive. This will require more stone, and a higher cost.
- Stone type – The specific size and coloration of the crushed stone that you choose for your driveway can also impact the price.
- Stone supplier – Buying crushed stone from a retailer will cost more money than stone purchased directly from a manufacturer with its own quarry. This is because retailers act as a “middle man”. Having purchased stone from a manufacturer, they must raise prices to make a profit when selling stone and other materials to customers.
Benefits of a Crushed Stone Driveway
Any crushed stone driveway cost is easily justified by the many benefits, including:
- Beauty – A crushed stone driveway is very aesthetically pleasing and will allow your home to stand out from others on your street. While other properties may make use of concrete or asphalt as their surfacing material, your driveway will be completely unique.
- Low maintenance – When properly installed, a crushed stone driveway is easy to maintain and will last for years to come.
- Affordability – The cost of a crushed stone driveway is very affordable and budget-friendly when compared to other surfacing materials.
Other Considerations for a Crushed Stone Driveway
Unless you have experience in doing so, it’s always in your best interest to work with a seasoned contractor when installing a crushed stone driveway. From start to finish, the process can be very time-consuming and involves a lot of skill, precision, and hard labor. You cannot afford to make any mistakes in the design and construction of your drive, as this has the potential to decrease the appearance, durability, and longevity of the path. Ultimately, this will cost you more in the long run. A crushed stone driveway can significantly enhance the appearance of any property. Consult with a local expert for a more specific crushed stone driveway cost estimate or to learn more about this type of driveway.