Now that we’re smack-dab in the middle of the winter season, it’s time to make sure that you know everything there is to know about rock salt. As a homeowner or business owner, you already understand that spreading rock salt is essential for the colder states of this country because snow and ice can create hazardous conditions that may result in slip-and-fall injuries. That’s an important thing to remember, because you definitely want to avoid injuries to anyone who might visit your home or business.
Whether you’ve used rock salt in the past or if you’ve just moved to a place that is rife with snow and ice, there’s always more that you can learn about this wonderful de-icing material. What we’re going to cover today is a quick guide filled with suppliers, storage, and spreading tips. Once we’re done, you’ll have a good overview of the subject so that you can purchase bulk salt in NJ with confidence and properly apply it to your property.
Choosing a Reputable Supplier
No matter what type of material you need for your home, whether it’s compost, aggregate stones, or rock salt, finding a reputable supplier should always be a top priority. Turning to experts in the industry will always give you a better result than purchasing materials online or through a retailer who has very little knowledge of what they’re selling. Choosing a reliable supplier will probably be done after speaking with them either over the phone or in person, but here are a few attributes that you should always look for:
- First-Hand Knowledge — It’s always better to do business with a supplier who lives in an area that requires them to spread rock salt on their own property to ensure first-hand experience and expertise.
- Experience Within the Industry — There’s absolutely nothing wrong with startup companies, but it’s always best to put your trust in a supplier that has been in the industry for several years.
- Customer Satisfaction — Any supplier you choose should have absolutely no problem providing you with a few references that you can check out on your own.
- Landscape Design Expertise — Even though rock salt isn’t utilized for landscape design, a supplier who is knowledgeable about design will have a better handle on the use of salt on all surfaces of your property.
- Sizable Inventory — Running out of rock salt when you need it most is something that you absolutely shouldn’t tolerate, so make sure that your supplier will have plenty on hand at all times.
- Pickup and Delivery — Flexibility should always be a key issue with a supplier, which means that anyone you choose should have both pickup and delivery options available to make sure you can get bulk rock salt easily and quickly.
Storing Bulk Salt in NJ for the Next Season
Many homeowners and business owners seem to get cold feet when it comes to ordering bulk salt in NJ because they’re afraid they’re going to order too much and then throw some of their money away on wasted product. The problem is that when you don’t order enough and then experience an especially harsh winter, you could run out of rock salt and then face a hazardous situation. If ordering too much is a concern, then let us put your mind at ease because bulk rock salt can easily be stored away for use during the following season.
Storing rock salt isn’t difficult, but it’s important that you do it the right way so that it will last until the following year. The most important thing to remember is that when rock salt gets damp or wet, it will clump together. When this happens, the salt becomes unusable and must be discarded.
The good news is that avoiding this problem is quite easy. All you need to do is store the rock salt in a warm, dry place. Depending on how much you have left over, you may need to put it in some type of outdoor storage shed or even something as simple as a utility closet inside your home. If you’re afraid that it might be exposed to inclement weather or water damage at any point, then sealing it in an airtight container will do the trick.
Bulk Rock Salt Spreading Tips
The best thing about rock salt is that it’s extremely easy to apply. You don’t need to have any kind of expertise to take care of your entire property. What you want to do is grab a shovel or a scoop and spread the salt evenly over any areas that are susceptible to the accumulation of snow or ice. Although rock salt is safe, we also suggest that you wear gloves when spreading it.
When calculating the amount of rock salt that you’ll need, it’s safe to estimate between 10 and 15 grams per square meter of surface area. A reputable materials supplier can help you determine the type of bulk rock salt you should purchase – treated or untreated – and the precise amounts that you want to apply to any given surface.
Contact Braen Stone for Your Bulk Rock Salt Needs
As detailed above, you must have a reliable supplier of bulk salt in NJ to make sure that you get through the season without incident. Braen Stone has been providing materials to New Jersey and other cold states for over 115 years. Materials can be picked up locally or delivered throughout parts of NJ, and limited parts of NY, PA, and CT.