Weather experts are predicting a long, cold winter ahead of us – are you ready for it? Stocking up on bulk rock salt well in advance is the key to wintertime preparedness. In order to order bulk quantities of rock salt, though, you need to know how much you actually need to order. Fortunately, this process is much less complex than you might have feared. With this user-friendly guide, you’ll be able to quickly and accurately calculate your bulk rock salt need for winter 2018-2019.
Getting the Numbers Right is a Big Deal
While it can be tempting to try to make a quick “educated guess” about how much bulk rock salt to order, we strongly discourage you from going this route. Throughout our many years in the industry, we’ve seen many contractors and homeowners make similar mistakes, and it has never ended well. Overestimating how much rock salt you might need can result in a surplus of materials that you are unable to use, and that cause you to waste a lot of money. On the other hand, underestimating your needs could leave you high and dry during your hour of need. Running low on rock salt partway through the season could mean that you end up spending a lot more money on rock salt than you would have if you had purchased your materials sooner and in one lump sum. In other cases, you may find that a rock salt shortage has occurred and you are unable to replenish your supply. In either case, you will be faced with a great deal of stress. It’s only by taking the time to carefully plan out your winter and calculate how much bulk rock salt to order that you can rest easy with the peace of mind that you will be covered throughout the entire season.
Calculating Your Bulk Rock Salt Needs
So, how exactly do you go about the process of calculating how much rock salt to order for your property? This can be accomplished in just a few simple steps.
- Step 1 – Measure Your Coverage Area – Start things off by taking careful measurements of your entire coverage area. Whether it’s a driveway, a large campus with roads and parking lots, or a major highway, you will need to know the precise size of the area in square feet.
- Step 2 – Select Your Materials – Next, you’ll need to think about which type of bulk rock salt you are planning on using for your property. This is a crucial step, because the exact quantities of rock salt that should be used for a given area are generally specified by individual manufacturers. For example, one manufacturer may recommend 4 pound of rock salt per every 250 square feet.
- Step 3 – Do the Math – Now that you know how much material is required for a given area, you can quickly do the math to determine how much bulk rock salt you’ll require per freeze cycle. Using the example from above, let’s consider an overall coverage area that encompasses 10,000 square feet. 10,000/250 = 40 x 4 pounds of rock salt = 160 pounds total rock salt required each freeze cycle.
- Step 4 – Plan Ahead – Understand that you will need a heck of a lot more rock salt than is required for just one freeze cycle. When you consider the fact that there are numerous days of freezing weather and precipitation in NJ and its surrounding areas, you will need to have enough rock salt on hand to keep your property free and clear of snow and ice through everything. We recommend looking at the Farmer’s Almanac or another trusted weather source in order to plan ahead for the winter season.
- Step 5 – Store With Care – Once you’ve ordered your bulk rock salt, you’ll need to make sure that it is stored properly until you’re ready to use it. This means keeping the materials in a dry location where it will not come into contact with moisture from the ground or the air. It’s typically best to keep the rock salt in a sealed container. Be sure to also store the materials in a facility that will remain above freezing temperatures at all times.
Ordering Bulk Rock Salt in NJ
Once you’re ready to order bulk rock salt in NJ, we encourage you to visit us at Braen Stone. As a leading supplier of rock salt and other ice melting materials in NJ, we are the experts on choosing and using bulk quantities of rock salt, as well as calculating rock salt coverage needs. We’re more than happy to crunch the numbers with you and provide you with the answers to all of your questions. We offer competitive wholesale pricing on all of our products and are able to bulk deliver to many areas throughout NJ, NY, NYC, PA, and CT. Give us a call to learn more today.